Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Hijackers

I don't know the exact formula, but I use these calculations: 1500/360 which is 4,16. 4x360 is 1440 and 5x360 is 1800. If I only invest 1600 someone else can invest 1399 + 360 = 1759 and pass me. If I invest 1700 someone else can only invest 1299 + 360 = 1659 which isn't enough to pass me.

The magic number should therefore be somewhere after the midway point between 1660 and 1700

My math probably isn't 100% correct, but I don't see any way to pass someone who has invested 1700 points in a red launch
As Teresa said (well, I have to correct her just a tiny bit) max points in a red launch are 2,998 + 360 = 3,358. So if you launch alone, you should put at least half of those points 3,358 / 2 = 1,679 pts - as you add only even points, it is rounded up to 1,680. If there is a second account in the launch and you fully trust it’s owner that he/she will stay behind you, then formula is 2 * your points + 2nd account points >= 3,358, it means if your friend adds 256 pts, than 1,552 pts would guarantee your first seat.

So much for a group launch event and hopefully everyone removes you from their friends list too. If you want cooperation with your neighbors then start a discord session with your buds and coordinate the launch event instead of not using the built-in design controls.

If '576' is an unspoken rule (first I've even heard of it) then how should anyone not on here even be aware of such a thing. If losing everything due to failure to launch wasn't an issue then I'd say they should add a do not go above value the launchee can set to and if aborted your items are returned because what if you don't return to add more on a 2000+ point launch?

I'm guessing 576 is supposed to not be topped but what if someone adds two 320 bolts?

But then again, the simple answer is to tick the private checkbox.
Not really, Yohan.
There are a lot of veteran players here on the forum and all of them apply 576 rule to their launches. Some apply the 3QL rule as well. The most important advantage of such players is that the have a lot of resources, they could (and they have done it many times) help others in launching and they can do 100+ red launches in a week. So if you try to go against them, you will surely be kicked off.
What I usually do is to try to educate my new neighbors in what is allowed and what is not. If one of my neighbors asks me to take 1st in some specific launch, most of the time I would let them take it. If one decides however to hijack a launch, I would kick them off and most probably will delete them from my neighbor list.
I hate launching “private” because I consider it “sin” to launch without at least top three seats occupied.
Exactly because it is a group activity it is your responsibility to check the rules of the launch owner. Best strategy would be: contact the launch owner, if you launch first time with them, and check their requirements to join their launch.
I will be soon add new neighbors as I would like to have more neighbors to exchange daily gifts with them. If you are interested, just follow me and become my neighbor. Then you will see that joining other’s launches could be beneficial for you even if sticking to some set of rules.

Pit

P.S. I didn’t really understand your second paragraph so let me clarify something: if you are kicked off from a launch, you EDIT: lose your points (thank you, @VdW9) but you stay in the lobby of the respective launch (so you don’t lose your launch collections).

Last edited:

sdust

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
047kpaw1
Username
sdust
Half + 180 (if you’re already on first place, as in case of ties, first in, first served) 1680 for a red. You got a nice and close upper bound on the real magic number

Thank you. I have always used 1000, 1200, and 1700 as my guideline for securing top spot on my own launches. I know it isn't exactly right but it's close enough for me to be useful

sdust

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
047kpaw1
Username
sdust
As Teresa said (well, I have to correct her just a tiny bit) max points in a red launch are 2,998 + 360 = 3,358. So if you launch alone, you should put at least half of those points 3,358 / 2 = 1,679 pts - as you add only even points, it is rounded up to 1,680. If there is a second account in the launch and you fully trust it’s owner that he/she will stay behind you, then formula is 2 * your points + 2nd account points >= 3,358, it means if your friend adds 256 pts, than 1,552 pts would guarantee your first seat.

Ok I see your logic. I hadn't considered going that route and to be honest I would probably have messed it up, if I had tried. That's probably the difference between university level math and basic school math

VdW

600+ Star Club
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03j2z0gz (PM me when adding, or your request might get deleted)
Username
VdW
P.S. I didn’t really understand your second paragraph so let me clarify something: if you are kicked off from a launch, you get your points returned (so you don’t lose the launch items) and you stay in the lobby of the respective launch (so you don’t lose your launch collections either).

Actually, if you get kicked off from a launch, you lose all your items. The launch owner also lose all the points you contributed. It’s an updated rules like few months after I started playing.

I remember the time where we can launch with our support account, let the support accounts put almost all the points and then you can kick them out and we can take over first with so little point as possible.

Thanks for the formula. I'm working on an Excel Spreadsheet to help me determine what color I should launch on.

VdW

600+ Star Club
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03j2z0gz (PM me when adding, or your request might get deleted)
Username
VdW
For @Yohan68 and @Jpstx

Now that you are here in this forum, maybe you guys want to try following the 576 rules? You didn't know about it which is totally makes sense. But now that you're here, you know this rules.

Majority of the players here follow the 576 rules. If you don't agree, it's okay too but maybe try not to do that with forum members or you'll be kicked out of the launch and deleted from their neighbor list immediately.

Anyway, most of veteran players here won't let a launch open for hours (esp.24 hours? that is almost impossible, I think).

That was sort of my reasoning at the time, but I felt bad I couldn't tell the others in the launch that
I too felt a little bad when I had took a fellow alliance member's launch. She had 400 points in, nobody else was there, and she had 3 hours to go. I was planning my own launch and saw hers. Ultimately, I considered it doing her a favor. Sometimes, these calls really are tough and sometimes, if you don't take it, someone else might. The hijack rule, like many other good rules has some exceptions.

Best advice though, if you don't feel comfortable with the launch and can't communicate, AVOID it. I sound like a broken record because I've said it so often here.

Barkmi4 (Mike)

1000+ Star Club
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
PM
Username
Barkmi4 *items*
For newer members to the forum, have a read here for some general guidelines:
There are a number of unwritten launch rules amongst forum members. Recently I’ve searched for general launch rules myself but haven’t found anything conclusive on this forum.
I’ll give you a few key ones though;
1) If you are joining someone else’s launch, always assume they want captain (1st place).
Exemptions to this rule;
- In an open QL (Quantum Leap) party, often the person who starts the launch will not captain every launch. This is where the 576 rule is relevant which is discussed below.
- New forum members who sign up and immediately start a launch thread. These guys are generally really inexperienced and in over their heads. They've started a launch not knowing what they will need to complete the launch and so in some circumstances it may be appropriate to overtake them to ensure the launch doesn’t fail. I would suggest communicating with the individual via the launch thread, although in most cases they don’t really know the relevance of being in 1st/2nd place etc.
- Unless in prior agreement with another player, such as taking part in @Navigata07 ’s Regular weekday launches where positions and launch fuel are agreed beforehand.
- A closed QL party will have pre-agreed rules. It is unlikely you will stumble into one of these so I won’t mention it further.
- If a launch is about to fail due to the launch timer expiring, it may be appropriate to overtake someone to stop the launch failing. I wouldn’t necessarily advise this though, and as a new player you probably don’t have the resources to help people out in that manner.

2) The 576 rule is a bit of an unwritten rule. 576 is the maximum points you can input into a launch in one hit, before any of the various timers reset. This rule is generally used as an indicator by a player that they would like the captains seat. This is particularly relevant in open QL parties - it is accepted that the first player to input 576 points will be captain for that launch. Generally for blue and red launches you will need to place more than just 576 points as captain.
If a player has input 574 points in a QL launch, generally this means they are allowing someone else to take first. Be sure to observe common curtesy with this though - if you are in the swing with 5 other players let them rotate positions, don’t be greedy. Generally it Is expected that players with a QL bonus will dominate the top launch positions (gold,silver, bronze chests). You will see some players sporting the text in their name ‘No QL 216 max’ - I.e. if you do not have a bonus active, don’t input more than 216 launch fuel.

To learn how QL parties work, The best advice is to try and join a few, sit at the back. Add minimum fuel (0-96 say), and just observe how the event unfolds - you will learn far more by doing this than I could ever explain. Most wont be upset if you dont add points in a QL party.

If you want to launch regularly as a newbie, keep an eye on the launch threads. There are a lot of new players launching daily and posting there, you can alternate positions on different days to share the rewards. Equally as I’ve already said Navi has a weekday regular red launch that I’m sure you‘d be welcome to join. This is a cheap way of getting a few launches under your belt.

Keep asking questions and you’ll keep learning (y)

Sebastian

1000+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
Pooley79, Poolex79, 03aszb1j (Poolez79)
Username
Pooley79, Poolex79, Poolez79
I am soooooooo tired about that Threads.
It’s a game, may the best win 🤓

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
In almost 6 years of the space program I have only ever been hi-jacked once, and that was my own fault for being far too slow and not investing enough points to secure first place. Having learned the lessons, early on in my game play, I simply do not give hi-jackers the opportunity to hi-jack a launch I have opened. All of my 300 plus neighbours are also forum members.

I have never hi-jacked a launch, it is not good 'cricket' to do so, there are rules with the space program, which need to be followed, forum members do so, hi-jackers do not. You need to guard yourself against hi-jackers. You can do this by reading through the two space program user guides, and by taking good advice from experience forum members, who are happy to help those who are new to the space program.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

sdust

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
047kpaw1
Username
sdust
I too felt a little bad when I had took a fellow alliance member's launch. She had 400 points in, nobody else was there, and she had 3 hours to go. I was planning my own launch and saw hers. Ultimately, I considered it doing her a favor. Sometimes, these calls really are tough and sometimes, if you don't take it, someone else might. The hijack rule, like many other good rules has some exceptions.

Best advice though, if you don't feel comfortable with the launch and can't communicate, AVOID it. I sound like a broken record because I've said it so often here.

I generally try to avoid troublesome situations, both in-game and in real life.

I do wish that there was some way of communicating in-game though. Like a top 3 wishlist for gifts that others could see and a short message box for alliance leaders and launch leaders where they could write their rules or goals. Maybe a check list where they could indicate type of alliance or launch and control how many points members should/is allow to contribute.

I tend to work on the assumption to that people are greedy and stupid. People make mistakes and omissions in the heat of the moment (sometimes, that's what a launch is). Some common faults are:

1) Failure to see a larger picture because you so hyper focused on ONE task.
2) People get impatient and overeager
3( People forget or omit import steps
4) People get greedy or get so caught up in their egos

This goes right to launches and launch hijackings.

Bigglesbaz

1000+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
20so7vj6
Username
Bigglesbaz
In almost 6 years of the space program I have only ever been hi-jacked once, and that was my own fault for being far too slow and not investing enough points to secure first place. Having learned the lessons, early on in my game play, I simply do not give hi-jackers the opportunity to hi-jack a launch I have opened. All of my 300 plus neighbours are also forum members.

I have never hi-jacked a launch, it is not good 'cricket' to do so, there are rules with the space program, which need to be followed, forum members do so, hi-jackers do not. You need to guard yourself against hi-jackers. You can do this by reading through the two space program user guides, and by taking good advice from experience forum members, who are happy to help those who are new to the space program.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Good advice at last!

Something I learned early for a smooth and fun game with fewer tears: Dispense with anyone on your neighbour list who is not on the Forum; then get rid of anyone on the Forum from your list who doesn't play fair. There are no excuses, there's plenty of great people on this Forum who play the game so that we can all enjoy it together.

Baz :)

Device
  1. Android
And the problem is that in the game itself, you can't explain. And keep in mind to that the person has NO right to you expect you to be their neighbor. Right now, I could legitimately decide to drop you as a neighbor for whatever reason and you can do likewise. That applies even if you are doing it because you think Christ is the Anti-Christ.
But you're missing the point. AS-IS there is NO such rule implied or otherwise built within the game itself nor mechanisms supporting such notions. It's a GROUP effort; If you want to be first then make sure to contribute the most. The game should not nor can offer every option to everyone. If you don't like it then go create your own game and/or submit design request for this one. And yes, anyone can drop anyone, that's not the subject matter of this thread, it was the concept of "hijackers". They didn't hijack it, they contributed the most to the group launch effort that was lost by the person that started the launch all because of a number conceived in their head as the half-ass contribution to take the top spot without actually ensuring it. There's no RULE, just people's predefined expectations. If you want to guarantee it, click private launch; Ironic how that's a game feature, no? Enable it until contribute enough to ensure you're top then toggle off; simple, easy, not lazy.

Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
03vr2vz4x
Username
jps air
For @Yohan68 and @Jpstx

Now that you are here in this forum, maybe you guys want to try following the 576 rules? You didn't know about it which is totally makes sense. But now that you're here, you know this rules.

Majority of the players here follow the 576 rules. If you don't agree, it's okay too but maybe try not to do that with forum members or you'll be kicked out of the launch and deleted from their neighbor list immediately.

Anyway, most of veteran players here won't let a launch open for hours (esp.24 hours? that is almost impossible, I think).
Like I said those are made up rules if you don't have enough don't launch, it is rude to make other people wait. 5-10 hours. It is a silly and illogical rule if you don't have enough points and trying still to collect. Expecting people to help you launch and then make them wait. I will say it is way more inconsiderate of your fellow fellow playere

Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
03vr2vz4x
Username
jps air
But you're missing the point. AS-IS there is NO such rule implied or otherwise built within the game itself nor mechanisms supporting such notions. It's a GROUP effort; If you want to be first then make sure to contribute the most. The game should not nor can offer every option to everyone. If you don't like it then go create your own game and/or submit design request for this one. And yes, anyone can drop anyone, that's not the subject matter of this thread, it was the concept of "hijackers". They didn't hijack it, they contributed the most to the group launch effort that was lost by the person that started the launch all because of a number conceived in their head as the half-ass contribution to take the top spot without actually ensuring it. There's no RULE, just people's predefined expectations. If you want to guarantee it, click private launch; Ironic how that's a game feature, no? Enable it until contribute enough to ensure you're top then toggle off; simple, easy, not lazy.
What I can't understand, if it is such an issue that these people can wait until they collected enough before they launch or like you said to keep it private.

Top Bottom