Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

My Fountain Pen And I - A Life Very Well Lived

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
My Fountain Pen And I - A Life Very Well Lived
This morning I fitted a brand new ink cartridge into my fountain pen, a very simple process, nothing more was required of me.

No operating system software upgrades needed, no bugs, no patches to install, no new drivers needed, no need to contact technical support and then wait to hear from them, no McAfee updates required, no broadband issues to deal with......

......just old school.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Last edited:

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
My Lamy Safaris always work, whereas I spent hours last week trying to fix (to no avail) a Windows 10 "Automatic Update" that threw up an error. Apparently "automatic" was anything but.

I'm very found of German made Lamy writing instruments, I have a few in my collection, which I like to choose from, depending on the work at hand. Sorry to read about your Windows 10 problem.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Following my pub lunch I spent a very pleasant afternoon sitting and writing a letter and a birthday card to two old friends. Sitting across the pub, sat a young woman, busy with her laptop. At one point, she looked up and smiled at me, while typing. I held up my fountain pen and smiled back. It was nice to share a moment.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
I often use a fountain pen and have even managed to get the younger generation in the house using them. OK, they use the modern disposable versions. The Zebra fuente on Amazon is pretty good.

I'm assuming these modern pens are inexpensive, since they are disposable. Perhaps some day a fountain pen and ink cartridges, as a present, maybe a better idea. No matter how inexpensive they maybe, it is bound to add up to a tidy sum of money in the long run. Just a suggestion.....

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Jan0987

150+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
03b27s4r
Username
Jan-
Several years ago, I was in a drugstore and came across a notebook made of stone paper. Out of curiosity, I bought it, and found that some pens were better than others when it came to writing on the specialized surface, and I ordered a bunch of different pens from jetpens.com to find better pens. While shopping at the site, they had a cheap disposable fountain pen, which I bought because it was only $3 and looked interesting. It was a Pilot Petit1 and it was my gateway pen, and then I was getting a bunch of Noodler's pens, Lamy's, Pilots, and TWSBI, etc. and ink samples from gouletpens.com. I have more bottled ink than I will ever use.

My only problem is that I will go for long stretches (months) without using the pens, so the ink dries out. I've been looking for one that doesn't dry out with prolonged lack of use, but they are usually the ones with the larger capacities (Noodler's Ahab, TWSBI) and I prefer something the size, weight, and capacity of a Lamy Safari.

So far, I have remained at the low end of the hobby and have avoided buying any more pens, since I don't really need more than a couple dozen fountain pens. :LOL: (But I have been looking at the Pilot Vanishing Point...)

must_dash

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. iPad
  2. iPhone
Friend Code
must,_dash
Username
must,_dash
@Captain WH Rollins you are correct, all the kids have been brought 'proper' fountain pens, these tend to stay at home. It is the disposable ones that make it to school and work places. If they get broken or 'borrowed' it doesn't matter.
I have a collection of pens that dates back to around 1930ish. Most need a good service as they probably haven't been used for 50 years.

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
@Captain WH Rollins you are correct, all the kids have been brought 'proper' fountain pens, these tend to stay at home. It is the disposable ones that make it to school and work places. If they get broken or 'borrowed' it doesn't matter.
I have a collection of pens that dates back to around 1930ish. Most need a good service as they probably haven't been used for 50 years.

Yes, I understand. Disposable fountain pens for school is the way forward and I would do the same. Why take the risk of a broken, borrowed or lost pen.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
My fountain pen and I spent a very pleasant late morning together, writing a letter to an old friend. If it fails to reach his home address, the Depot Post Office Manager will get a very nasty letter from me, if it ever reaches him.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
A very enjoyable afternoon spent writing a letter to an old school friend, having had a relacked pub lunch - a plowmans (bread and butter, cheese, small onions, pickle, ham and boiled egg) with a chilled bottle of cider.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
I was very tempted this weekend gone, to purchase a vintage fountain pen and add it to my collection, but in the end I managed to resist the temptation, until another time. It caught my eye, in an antique shop window, there were a few vintage pens to choose from, which made the decision making process complicated.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
It is some 65 years since the first pre-filled ink cartridge were introduced to the world of fountain pens. I have a few of these types of fountain pens, which I enjoy using. It is clean and easy, to remove an empty cartridge and replace it with a full cartridge.

I also have many more older fountain pens which require the internal reservoir to be filled manually with ink from a bottle, with the use of an eyedropper or by way of an internal suction filling mechanism. I also enjoy this way of doing things, although great care must be observed when performing the refill procedure.

Both of the above are from an earlier era, which I hold in high regard, which I call 'old school', unlike the modern day way, throw-away ink filled fountain pens, which I do not care for.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Yesterday afternoon I returned to the antique shop where I had noticed a number of vintage fountain pens for sale, a few days earlier. They looked good in the show window, but on closer inspection, decided not to purchase them. They were not in the best of conditions, sometimes that is the way it goes. They had come from a house clearance, not so unusual.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

A very enjoyable afternoon spent writing a letter to an old school friend, having had a relacked pub lunch - a plowmans (bread and butter, cheese, small onions, pickle, ham and boiled egg) with a chilled bottle of cider.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins
When my kids were at primary school here in France, fountain pen's were compulsory. Still are. You can imagine the mess! Hard enough to learn to write in curly swirly style, add a fountain pen!! :eek::wtf:

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
When my kids were at primary school here in France, fountain pen's were compulsory. Still are. You can imagine the mess! Hard enough to learn to write in curly swirly style, add a fountain pen!! :eek::wtf:

Yes, I believe there are other countries, around the globe, where fountain pens are compulsory in school. Also here in the UK, in many private schools, rather than state schools.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Top Bottom