Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Cinema Films, DVD Films, DVD Boxsets, DVD TV Series

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
It Happened One Night (1934) - a classic screwball comedy, directed by Frank Capra, this film was the first to be honoured with all five major Oscars - Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay. A great afternoon film, having first had a good lunch, and before an afternoon nap.

1577442180500.png

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
048nkdwp2
Username
Smashngrab77
@Captain WH Rollins I need to read through this chat in full, but I noticed you referencing running out of shelf space. Have you ever considered a NAS drive with Plex? I recently converted over from 1100+ Blu rays, DVD, and VUDU. It makes life so much easier when you are looking for that one film or series and don't want to load disc's.

Kerem

150+ Star Club
Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
2060N1K0X
Username
Kerem
Run Silent Run Deep DVD - one of the all time great submarine war films

View attachment 53643

Regards
Captain WH Rollins
It's obvious that you have a huge archive and knowledge about movies and there is no point in recommending popular ones like "Das Boot" or "Hunting for Red October".
Maybe I can contribute to the Turkish movies list. Did you ever consider making lists for non-mainstream countries' cinemas?
As far as I see, IMDb scores of the Turkish movies are pretty messed up, lots of 10 points from fans, 1-points from haters, awful recommendations from teenagers etc.

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
It's obvious that you have a huge archive and knowledge about movies and there is no point in recommending popular ones like "Das Boot" or "Hunting for Red October".
Maybe I can contribute to the Turkish movies list. Did you ever consider making lists for non-mainstream countries' cinemas?
As far as I see, IMDb scores of the Turkish movies are pretty messed up, lots of 10 points from fans, 1-points from haters, awful recommendations from teenagers etc.
Hello and many thanks for your post.

This themed thread is open to all who share a passion for films, across cinema, television and other forms of modern day broadcast. I'm always interested to hear, and read about, different styles of films from around the globe. If you have read your way through this thread, all 38 pages, you will know I have an keen interest in a broad range of films, which include classic Japanese films, different style of cartoons, and many other film genres., including submarine war films, such as, Das Boot' which is a particular favourite of mine.

You are very much welcomed to contribute to this thread, in any way you wish.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
@Captain WH Rollins I need to read through this chat in full, but I noticed you referencing running out of shelf space. Have you ever considered a NAS drive with Plex? I recently converted over from 1100+ Blu rays, DVD, and VUDU. It makes life so much easier when you are looking for that one film or series and don't want to load disc's.
Can I ask how long it took you to perform the transfer process?

My collection of VHS tapes and DVD disc's is substantial, across a good few decades, I'm not sure I would have the time to undertake the transfer project. Playing the game of Airport City, and updating the user guides takes up a great deal of my time.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
048nkdwp2
Username
Smashngrab77
Can I ask how long it took you to perform the transfer process?

My collection of VHS tapes and DVD disc's is substantial, across a good few decades, I'm not sure I would have the time to undertake the transfer project. Playing the game of Airport City, and updating the user guides takes up a great deal of my time.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins
On average it takes about 10 minutes per DVD. I go through phases of adding in bulk. I just purchased 213 dvds and have been slowly converting them in and transferring to my NAS. I started this 10 plus years ago, but just converted to a true NAS last year. My dad is the inspiration as he did this for my grandmother. She loved her movies, but had made it to a point that she couldn't get up, find a disc, load it etc.
I do this on weekends and at night after work while playing Airport City :)

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
On average it takes about 10 minutes per DVD. I go through phases of adding in bulk. I just purchased 213 dvds and have been slowly converting them in and transferring to my NAS. I started this 10 plus years ago, but just converted to a true NAS last year. My dad is the inspiration as he did this for my grandmother. She loved her movies, but had made it to a point that she couldn't get up, find a disc, load it etc.
I do this on weekends and at night after work while playing Airport City :)
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, it requires a considerable amount of dedication, which you obviously have in abundance. I somehow can not see myself undertaking this task, the user guides take up a great deal of my time, and so does the game.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show (black and white 1955 - 1959) - have started to re-watch this box set once again, regarded by many as the greatest situation comedy ever made, this 20 disc box set brilliantly showcases Phil Silvers comic talents perfectly.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
A really unusual and quirky cult science fiction TV series. Farscape (DVD Box Set) - is for me one of the great TV shows of all time, in the top 25, the repeated viewings of all four seasons and the mini series has not changed my option. I would very much recommend it, a standout TV series.

716Szx4WLKL._SY445_.jpg

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Device
  1. Android
  2. Windows PC
Friend Code
20halcdzw
Username
Cassandra
one of my biggest peeves in slasher type movies is about the victims. Why are most victims women or teenagers? You dont see a movie where ageing bald men and ageing women who smell like kleenex or witch hazel are staring into a mirror chanting bazooka joe 3-5 times hoping joe comes back to haunt you.
If Leslie nielson were still alive I bet he would have a role in such a movie.

And speaking of damsels, they often put themselves in distress, when most scared people would run the other way when shrieks and howls cry out from behind a locked basement door.

Aliens, too don't really want to have to take care of changing depends undergarments, or dealing with having to do anything else to keep those elderly comfy.

The only movie I recall to do with a large group of elderly was cocoon and they were taken upward and returned back later. Guess they weren't young enough

I guess getting old really does stink since aliens and monsters dont want you

Device
  1. Android
  2. Windows PC
Friend Code
20halcdzw
Username
Cassandra
on another note, trying to recall a film where Boris Karloff was a sort of therapist/ hypnotherapist and was in a session with a female patient who kept having nightmares she was Marie Antoinette. And in some way he had put her under finding his way into her dream. When it came time to meet the executioner at the guillotine, she woke up but the doctor did not and his head was missing when she turned toward him.

Device
  1. Android
  2. Windows PC
Friend Code
20halcdzw
Username
Cassandra
Then you have local stations that at some had their own studios their own productions that only aired within a 100 mile radius. Some shows were Sally Starr, Captain Noah, Chiller Theater, Dr Shocks Movie Theater, romper room, or bozo the clown

from PBS there was Matinee at the Bijou on Saturday afternoon, or an Eastside Kids/ bowery boys around 1pm Sunday afternoon after church.

I still like to find the old B & W films, shorts, and even cartoons from yesteryear.
At least they were funny. They made sense. They were clean. G rated material The closest to anything violent were people dressed in rubbery odd looking suits portraying a creature in shows from Irwin Allen like lost in space or voyage to the bottom of the sea, ( one of my ultimate favs)
Still enjoy Topper films, Hepburn, Spencer Tracey , And Jimmy Stewart in Harvey,(recently found another version with Harry Anderson from Night Court)

I could talk classic TV/films 4 ever lol

Horrified as a 1st and 2nd grader watching Barnibas Collins after my nana finished watching general hospital, after school
Yep life was so much better then

Another sleepless pain filled night for this tired old body. Found a few Bowery Boys East Side Kids films on youtube. Think Ghosts On the Loose first circa 1943 with Ava Gardner and Bela Lugosi

Last edited:

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
I'm continuing to very much enjoy the Farscape DVD Box set, currently watching season two of the unusual and quirky cult science fiction TV series. I had forgotten how good it really is.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
I'm currently watching Season Three of the TV series Farscape DVD Box Set, I had forgotten how good it really is. A standout TV series.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show (Black and White 1955 - 1959) - I'm currently re-watching the box set, it is regarded by many as the greatest situation comedy ever made. The box set of 20 discs brilliantly showcases Phil Silvers comic talents perfectly.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
The Time Tunnel - The Complete Series Box Set (1968) - currently re-watching one of the great and original science fiction TV shows from the 1960s, one season of 30 episodes - great shame it was only one season.

1565109547774.png

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Wolf Hall (2015) - currently watching the exceptional television drama Wolf Hall on DVD, priced at just £7.99 it is well worth every penny.

1668600058866.png

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Top Bottom