Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

A moral dilemma! (For fun)

Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bmvk3qb
Username
craigodile
I joined a blue launch this evening of a random neighbour (a Pilot ......... neighbour) and was happy just to contribute for 2nd or 3rd or whatever. There were 14 hours to go and he/she had submitted 1056 units of fuel, i.e. more than half, but not enough to prevent a hijack! I put a further 472 units in and that’s where we are, but now with eight hours remaining.

I personally think it’s his/her responsibility to make sure the launch happens, if nobody else puts in any fuel, and is what I would do. I always have enough fuel to finish a launch without any help when I start one.

So here’s the dilemma! If you were in my shoes (going to bed) and returned to the launch in the exact same position, but with a few minutes to go, would you feel justified in hijacking the launch? I’d have to put a total of 944 units in, for second place, and if I’d known would have just started my own and put in the 1180, finishing it myself if nobody else helped.

For what it’s worth, I’ll just make up the remainder and launch for second. Interested to know what others would do/consider acceptable!

Unlikely to happen to me, due to the neighbors I usually launch with.
and it’s difficult to say, depends on the circumstances.
BUT
if It happened
if I wasn’t able to contact him/her
if the clock was tick tacking
if there was absolutely no way of launching it leaving him/her with first place
then I would take that first and get that rocket going, no regrets

I joined a blue launch this evening of a random neighbour (a Pilot ......... neighbour) and was happy just to contribute for 2nd or 3rd or whatever. There were 14 hours to go and he/she had submitted 1056 units of fuel, i.e. more than half, but not enough to prevent a hijack! I put a further 472 units in and that’s where we are, but now with eight hours remaining.

I personally think it’s his/her responsibility to make sure the launch happens, if nobody else puts in any fuel, and is what I would do. I always have enough fuel to finish a launch without any help when I start one.

So here’s the dilemma! If you were in my shoes (going to bed) and returned to the launch in the exact same position, but with a few minutes to go, would you feel justified in hijacking the launch? I’d have to put a total of 944 units in, for second place, and if I’d known would have just started my own and put in the 1180, finishing it myself if nobody else helped.

For what it’s worth, I’ll just make up the remainder and launch for second. Interested to know what others would do/consider acceptable!
i didn’t read thoroughly your post. as I understood it was possible for you to take second and put that rocket in space. Then, I wouldn’t even have waited until waking up. I would’ve launched it, taking second place.
That’s all hypothetical as I never ever join such type of launches but by mistake

I have been in situations where where a neighbor had started launch and did not put in enough even for First place and there was 4 hours or even 6 hours before deadline. Originally, I hesitated hoping someone else would solve the problem. But if it's something four hours, I seized first place (you call it hijacking all you want but I did it for everyone's good). There's a nuance in the rule. And that's particularly so if you are unable to communicate with the person doing the launch. It's can get really tricky. Sometimes, I might do something like add 120 points additional just to make sure a launch may go off (or least, keep it on the right track), some might like it and some will hate it.

Personally, I would not even attempt to start a launch and make it public until I got it up to 500 plus enough to prevent a hijacker from adding a PEB. But I have gotten in over my head or time or two. I actually told someone to take first place.

I think I'd put in enough to ensure 2nd place, and depending on when the time expired (how close to when I planned to wake up) I'd plan to get up and hijack the launch if it hadn't already gone.

If it's a Pilot xxxxxx username, I'm taking the chance that they don't know the "half + 180" or even the 576 rules. Can't expect to hold them to a standard they probably don't know about.

My best advice would be to avoid launches where you have one person and something 400 points or below the thresholds you mentioned.

But if you have to seize control after giving the host a chance to put in the points, seize it as quickly as possible and close it. so that they can't boot you out People can do irrational things particularly if there's NO communication.

My story was funny because the person was a member of an allince that couldn't communicate. I happened to see her launch and I knew she was in trouble so I took first place to bail her out. I think she was greatful because we still occaisionally givve gifts to ea

Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
20r1jac7z
Username
Pilot 1
I am sort of a newbie, and it happened to me, and I did it to others without knowing. Unfortunately when you first start playing, many like myself, were not aware of this forum here to communicate with others playing the same game and learn how to play together nicely and communicate with others. I accidentally "hiacked" the first launch I ever did, but because I did not understand how to load points and how positions are awarded. I just kept adding fuel and coincidentally added the PEB last at the right time, but was enough to "jump" first and launch the rocket. I had no idea how I got first, but there it was. First place. Then, a month or so later, I put in exactly 800 points on a green launch thinking I would share first and wait for someone to add 800 and away we would go. Again, with AC not having ANY HANDBOOK or advice page, I had no idea if both put in 800, the first guy gets first and the second guy gets second. Only the first one person gets the golden chest and map. So, the person who must have known (I will keep them nameless, but I haven't forgot) put in 802 and jacked me. LESSON LEARNED. That's part of the problem with the AC game. There just isn't enough information in it's profile to advise people of the ways of the game.

I jumped someone recently on a blue launch who put in something like only 1150 and had I think 12 hours left in the launch. They are a 300 plus star member. I kinda felt they know and knew this could happen. I felt kinda bad actually. It's not really my style to "take advantage" of people. But it happens and that's how you learn the ins and outs of the game, unless you knew about the forum here and could ask. Again, I am only a 3 or 4 month player so I (selfishly) wanted first to get maps, more silver stars, drops for the sphinx statue to increase max population, etc. Because I felt "screwed" from before by someone else, I felt it's all fair game here. I mean, they are a 300 plus star member. How did he not know this? 980! Not 978. How did he not know someone would possibly jump him? But it shouldn't be this way.

Like most of the advanced players here, I think you learn that if you want first, you put in the 980, the 1180 and whatever you need for red launches NOT TO BE JUMPED. OR, you meet here to coordinate launches with others so that you put in much less fuel (the 576 I keep seeing the leaders put in. I still don't why this but I'm reading and learning), but get the benefits of launching, especially if you're going for your first 100 launches and possibly your first QL, like me.

But even your "friends" can be weird. I had someone I traded everyday F20 for a month or so right from the beginning when I started this game. One of my best trading friends as I was starting. I saw they has started a launch with 36 points and still 18 hours to go. I felt they never had intention of first. I put in enough for first and some to get the launch close (within 2 or 3 hundred. Approx. 1200 points) to launching. Several hours later I looked to see if we had launched. It turns out she BOOTED me and all my points. What a waste of my fuels. Needless to say, I stopped sending her F20's.

It seems to go both ways. Unless you are on this forum to coordinate launches with your "friends", it seems like anything can happen. Unfortunately we are not all mind readers so it is hard to tell what peoples intentions are. I don't like to say "jump" anyone, but unfortunately, that's how you master this game. You learn the hard way. SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. I believe that's AC's fault.

There are those who will take advantage and probably specifically wait for those opportunities and prey on them. It sucks. Now, I have the understanding and moral compass to not take advantage of all who play this game, but that's because of this website. THANK YOU GUYS! I just wait and come here and listen and learn. I get it. Many are frustrated by the games quirks so they take it out on the other players. If this platform was available ON AIRPORT CITY, I believe a lot of the hijacking would not take place. Whether some did it by accident or by design, you'd be able to contact them right away and settle it. You could actually have a "HIJACKERS WANTED" list or table to know not to "play" with them. That would be nice.

tempcheck

Device
  1. Windows PC
@iambobone I agree that the best way to learn is through experience, whether that is positive or negative, but not so much with the 'it happened to me, so I can also behave that way'. If we all did that, it wouldn't be pretty...

Saying that, I did encounter a similar situation to one you describe before I was a forum member, where 800 points were needed to complete someone's green. I deliberated about joining, but didn't want to spend that much for second, so thought I'd wait for them/someone else to join and add more before committing. However, the launch stayed like that for hours and I didn't understand why the person was leaving it so late (although I hadn't seen a launch from them before and they were below level 30, so I suspect it could have been one of their first). When there were only a few minutes left, I reluctantly decided to jump in and took first with a little over 800, as figured that was the only way I was willing to participate.

I, too, felt pretty bad about it (and fully expected to be defriended), but later that day they sent me a gift, suggesting they weren't that pissed... so I started to think maybe they had forgotten about it or were offline, or may actually have needed help to complete it.... you just don't know! Notably, however, the next time I saw a launch from them, they had put in significantly more than 800 so probably did learn from the experience (I joined and completed taking 2nd). But either way, I wouldn't do it again because of the way it made me feel, and I learnt to just ignore any such launches.

The other thing it did was encourage me to join the forum, as you don't need to guess what's going on if you can communicate with people.

@craigodile, I do understand your situation is different as you were already in the launch, so had resources at stake... but understand your dilemma as imagine the feeling would probably be similar.

Last edited:
My best advice would be to avoid launches where you have one person and something 400 points or below the thresholds you mentioned.

But if you have to seize control after giving the host a chance to put in the points, seize it as quickly as possible and close it. so that they can't boot you out People can do irrational things particularly if there's NO communication.

My story was funny because the person was a member of an allince that couldn't communicate. I happened to see her launch and I knew she was in trouble so I took first place to bail her out. I think she was greatful because we still occaisionally givve gifts to eachother and she visited me just today.

Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
20r1jac7z
Username
Pilot 1
It's like you were talking about Tempcheck. Because of AC's format, it's hard to know what peoples intentions and wants are when you/they launch. There are at least 100 different reasons why people put in the amount they put in. Maybe you did save the launch Tempcheck so they were happy this time. Maybe you are a higher star/level player than them so they felt obliged to allow it to happen because it's always been happening to them because they haven't "learned" (for lack of better words). We HONESTLY don't know unless you are here on this forum communicating with the others involved why a certain amount was, or wasn't, put it. Again, AC's fault.

I won't jump another person like that unless it is the very last seconds to save the launch.

I have seen from this format if you start the launch, YOU are responsible for also launching it and NOT wasting everyone's resources. The feeling I had after jumping the person just wasn't worth it, yet TWICE in my long 4 month career here, launches I joined and was sitting 2nd, failed to launch because of not enough points. That sucks!!! You just don't know what people are thinking. If I did, I'd quite my job; Right?

The problem is, if I hadn't done it, MORE THAN LIKELY, someone else would have. That's the dilemma the honest, moral person has. It's really a double edged dilemma the question raised. Someone will eventually jump that person probably 80% of the time the situation arises. So at the time, I also felt if I didn't, somebody else would have. THAT IS NOT AN EXCUSE to do it. But, lesson learned on my behalf too. I felt waaay too guilty!!!

Like Pilot-ww said. AVOID those situations. Start a launch and TAKE CONTROL, or, start one or join one and just sit back and let what happens happen, AND BE HAPPY WITH IT, or don't play. Unfortunately in ALL GAMES, there is a winner and loser. If you can't lose graciously, DON'T PLAY GAMES!!!! They don't have best participant awards here! .....oh wait they do. It's called "Complete the Event Challenge", and you get a prize!

AC needs to incorporate a forum like this, directly attached to the game. Even a "live" ask Madalene chat window. The "We'll reply back to you within 24 hours" bullcrap doesn't really help.

My question would be : why did you join that launch? If i get that screen, see someone that is alone in his launch, with 14 hours left and a bit more than half way, but no way to communicate with him/her, I do not join that launch.
I would rather start my own, and have people I know joining. Or if I have time, wait a bit on that screen, only to see of him/her is still adding points. If yes, he might put more when you join. And get things going. If it stays like that for too much time, I already expect that I will have to fill the gap myself. And putting almost half the points for a second place, is something I will not do. For those points you can get 1st place in a launch with 3 people.

My question would be : why did you join that launch? If i get that screen, see someone that is alone in his launch, with 14 hours left and a bit more than half way, but no way to communicate with him/her, I do not join that launch.
I would rather start my own, and have people I know joining. Or if I have time, wait a bit on that screen, only to see of him/her is still adding points. If yes, he might put more when you join. And get things going. If it stays like that for too much time, I already expect that I will have to fill the gap myself. And putting almost half the points for a second place, is something I will not do. For those points you can get 1st place in a launch with 3 people.
But can you count on three people being in your non-QL launch? That's something I don't comfortable relying upon.

Hyperion1722

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
04z32u99
Username
Hyperion1722
Maybe for lack of a better word, users here used "hijack". Firstly, the game app permits it and that placing more points in the launch gives you a better deal (position). With the options given, I will get the best deal. This is not a hijack. This is placing more points to gain first place. It is as if you can advise all your neighbors that you take the first position and the others will contribute for the other positions. In my first launches, I got clobbered while others take the first place position, and I do not treat it as unfair as they placed more stakes in the launch. What I usually do, if I wanted the first position, is to put more points to assure first place in my launches.

I have enough people that can join my launches (and I can communicate with).
And if no one found, I can use one om my support accounts to help.
Having you can rely on is nice but one downside is sometimes, they expect you to to go into their launches and sometimes, you have to forego something in your strategy for their sake. And sometimes, I feel pressured into something I'm NOT comfortable doing. There was a blow up where partly was the case that eventually led me to decide to leave a top 100 alliance for everyone's sake. It was party my fault because I didn't say "NO" and I wonder if it would've been accepted without further pitching or pressure. Part of this "communication" is that sometimes, you have to accept things at FACE VALUE (e.g. if I refuse to participate in your launch because I think Christ is the anti-Christ, than you take it as a NO and it doesn't matter if you think I'm think I'm psychotic).

Top Bottom