Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Any Linux (Ubuntu/BackTrack) pros around???

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
91h526
Username
Melanie <3
Right, here are some problems that need solving:

1) I run 2 Linux OS on my laptop, Ubuntu 12.0 and Backtrack 5R2 :whistle: . Now, they both stopped working.
2) When I start Ubuntu, everything works fine, just that my wireless card doesnt work. It seems the system does not even know that it is there.
3) When I start BackTrack, I get instantly a message along the line of KERNEL NEEDS TO BE LOADED FIRST. And that is that.

I now run BackTrack 5R2 off a live USB stick but that is no long term solution.

Looks as if I have to rebuild the whole computer :( or anyone here with any good ideas?

And here is some more:

- I have a Windows 7 Ultimate Pro :whistle: (as a file, not as a running OS) on my computer, but as I work only on Linux OS I seem to be unable to create a bootable Windows USB stick. Any Ideas?
- I use a LG P990 and I can it to my computer to exchange files etc. But I cannot connect it to the LG software and get updates and stuff. Any ideas?

Other then that, I am fine. Thanks :)

Device
  1. Android
  2. iPhone
Friend Code
see my signature
Username
see my signature
Melanie - Not too sure I understand "windows 7 as a file, not running OS."

If you mean you have the install DVD as an ISO - then UNetbootin should do the job of moving the ISO to a USB key and making it bootable

it has been a while since I ran UNetbootin under ubuntu

Do you know which bootloader you are running on your PC

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
91h526
Username
Melanie <3
Melanie - Not too sure I understand "windows 7 as a file, not running OS."

If you mean you have the install DVD as an ISO - then UNetbootin should do the job of moving the ISO to a USB key and making it bootable

it has been a while since I ran UNetbootin under ubuntu
Nah, only files and directories. Have to create a bootable file first. I am no good win Windows, but will check if UNetbootin does the job. I use that but did not think it would work win windows.

Do you know which bootloader you are running on your PC
uhem, nope.. :whistle:

Device
  1. Android
  2. iPhone
Friend Code
see my signature
Username
see my signature
@Melanie - files and folders are ok - the main files you are looking for is called "bootmgr.efi" about 700KB and "bootmgr" about 400KB - they should be in the root of windows 7. - these are the files UNetbootin will use to make the usb key bootable...

It is most likely that you are running grub2 as your bootloader...

Have a look at these links

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

might help you (or confuse you further :confused: )

Initial diagnosis almost seems like the bootloader on your PC is not pointing to all the correct folders for backtrack (sorry stating the obvious)

If you are looking to rebuild your PC from scratch – I would suggest (3 partitions) 1 for each of the OS’s and 1 for Apps – so the data can be easily shared between them...

I have gone down the Hyper-V route and get virtual machines (VM’s) running so you can reboot each one individually and don’t have to worry so much about affecting the other... VmWare is the alternative to Hyper-V from MS.

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
91h526
Username
Melanie <3
@Melanie - files and folders are ok - the main files you are looking for is called "bootmgr.efi" about 700KB and "bootmgr" about 400KB - they should be in the root of windows 7. - these are the files UNetbootin will use to make the usb key bootable...
Thanks for that, very helpfull indeed.

It is most likely that you are running grub2 as your bootloader...
Now, that you mention it... :whistle:

Have a look at these links

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

might help you (or confuse you further :confused: )
I will give it a go :)

Initial diagnosis almost seems like the bootloader on your PC is not pointing to all the correct folders for backtrack (sorry stating the obvious)

If you are looking to rebuild your PC from scratch – I would suggest (3 partitions) 1 for each of the OS’s and 1 for Apps – so the data can be easily shared between them...
make that 4: Ubuntu, BackTrack, Win and Apps

I have gone down the Hyper-V route and get virtual machines (VM’s) running so you can reboot each one individually and don’t have to worry so much about affecting the other... VmWare is the alternative to Hyper-V from MS.
I am pretty sure I git VMWare preinstalled...

Top Bottom