Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

AC Wiki

Arggers

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
272ehvl7
Username
Arggers
Does anyone still use the wiki?
http://airportcity.wikia.com/wiki/Airport_City_Wiki

I feel it ought to be updated(if it's still of use) but that's a hell of a job for one person. There's enough expertise in here; I wondered if we could make use of the hive mind and a number of us bring it up to date a bit?

Would answer a lot of the FAQ queries and we could point people that way...

Or perhaps there's another that I don't know?

A Merryflyer

Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
03nhxjex
Username
A Merryflyer
I use it very frequently and make updates when I see errors or things that have changed. I have encouraged others on here to do the same.

I would contribute much more when I notice omissions, but I can't work out how to do that most of the time, and don't have the time to invest to learn. If anyone could point me in the direction of how to add a building for example, I would be grateful and contribute much more.

Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
04gdf349
Username
ArGi1981
I use it very frequently and make updates when I see errors or things that have changed. I have encouraged others on here to do the same.

I would contribute much more when I notice omissions, but I can't work out how to do that most of the time, and don't have the time to invest to learn. If anyone could point me in the direction of how to add a building for example, I would be grateful and contribute much more.
I added a few buildings last summer, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. For me, the main issue was getting the images of the buildings but I guess you can also just add a building without image.

Once you're logged in (otherwise you can't edit anything), you click on "Add" in the top right corner. Now you first have to enter the title of the page you want to write (for instance the name of the building you want to add). Then, if the name doesn't exist yet, you see a simple text-editor pane:
full.jpg

Now if you click "Insert", you can insert a "Template" which redirects you to a window with all sorts of templates, like "Buildings", "Collections", "Flights", etc. If you click on "Buildings", you can fill out the information (you don't have to fill out all fields, just the ones that you know). Once you're done, the page will be created and you can add Categories to make sure the building can be found in the appropriate category.

Note that if you want to make a link to an existing wiki-page (for instance if the building is a reward for finishing some Collection), you can add the name of the collection in the appropriate field of the template and augment the name with "[[" and "]]". For instance "[[Name of Collection]]". This way, it will create a link to the page "Name of Collection".

Navigata07

1000+ Star Club
Supernovas/Chanel Royal Air Alliance
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
04fidhw4
Username
Navigata07

I feel it ought to be updated(if it's still of use) but that's a hell of a job for one person. There's enough expertise in here; I wondered if we could make use of the hive mind and a number of us bring it up to date a bit?

Agreed that it certainly should be updated. I think some people such as @Captain WH Rollins would do an excellent job since he has written so many wiki-like threads himself. He could simply copy-paste a lot of his info.

Arggers

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
272ehvl7
Username
Arggers
Agreed that it certainly should be updated. I think some people such as @Captain WH Rollins would do an excellent job since he has written so many wiki-like threads himself. He could simply copy-paste a lot of his info.

Agree the good Capt. would be a massive help in this project.
Also some of the Event guides could be sent over there, perhaps with some hints and tips for completion too.

With regard to getting pictures of the buildings, would Ivan be able to assist in this? Or would GI consider it as copyright theft?

Navigata07

1000+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
04fidhw4
Username
Navigata07
Agree the good Capt. would be a massive help in this project.
Also some of the Event guides could be sent over there, perhaps with some hints and tips for completion too.

With regard to getting pictures of the buildings, would Ivan be able to assist in this? Or would GI consider it as copyright theft?
Well you could always just take a screenshot and crop it. It's easier on a phone, but it can be done on computers as well.
We should bring this to the attention of @Wired Parrott as well, as I remembered seeing him as the author of several wiki pages.

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
@Arggers - @Navigata07 - @A Merryflyer - @ArGi1981 - @Wired Parrott

The wiki website needs a great deal of work, and a dedicated group of forum members who are able to invest the time needed to bring the website upto date.

There are a number of things about the wiki website I would like to see changed e.g. the look and feel of it, the dark background colour, the font size, the link colour (red is not a suitable colour to use on a dark background), and the overal format etc.

For those who are new to the game of Airport City, looking for information, it is far more useful to them. For those who are more advanced, it is limited. I do not use the website, as much as I use to, for this very reason.

As for the user guides, every so often, I revisit each of them and edit. Sometimes the edit involves rewriting an existing paragraph, sometimes it involves insert a new paragraph, sometimes inserting a whole new section (as and when game updates are issued).

I do not object to the use of copy and paste, it does make sense to do so. My main concern with this, is that at some point the information in the user guides and the information in the website will not be the same. Both sets of available information, in the user guides and in the wiki website, would need to be updated together. This is something which would need to be kept in mind.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
PM me :)
Username
dafsade

I also use it often ! And I edit some content it even add some building or destination (I did it when I flew red maps with Potsdam, Vienna, ... and reward building related : public library, Luna park, ...).

I always copy an existing bulging and paste to the one à I want to create and edit informations ! I have to confess that it was not so easy ! But now it is easier because you just have to scroll all categories !

Anyway, I agree with you, we should update it !

Why am I being berated? I have only been a bit slack for a year or so. o_O
But seriously there is quite a bit that was needing updated and surely quite
a bit more since last I looked.

As for pictures please do not take a screen shot and just trim it. When done like
that the pictures are not uniform and give the wiki a bad look. If you do not have
access or don't know how to use either gimp or photoshop just leave it empty.
Alternately if you updated something and need a pic added message me the
details and I can get it done.

For anyone wanting to add things like buildings mentioned above, I would suggest
a different method as the visual editor can be a bit wonky depending what you are doing.
It is far easier to go to a page of a similar building already on the wiki and use its source
as a template for that type of building. Once you do this you can save the source and use
it as a template for all similar buildings like commercial, passenger etc. I can show this quite
easily for anyone that wants to give it a go.

Being that I have not really kept up with what has been going up it would be quite helpful
if those that have noticed missing areas to give me a run down on what they believe the
most important areas to be updated to be. If I can get some idea where to invest my work
first it would be very appreciated. :cool:

I guess I'll just tag everyone in this thread.....:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: @Arggers @A Merryflyer @ArGi1981
@Navigata07 @Captain WH Rollins @Droidhak and @Dafsade

Hey if I make it to number 2 contributor on the wiki will I get a special reward then. :sneaky::whistle:

Navigata07

1000+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
04fidhw4
Username
Navigata07

As for pictures please do not take a screen shot and just trim it. When done like
that the pictures are not uniform and give the wiki a bad look. If you do not have

For anyone wanting to add things like buildings mentioned above, I would suggest
a different method as the visual editor can be a bit wonky depending what you are doing.
It is far easier to go to a page of a similar building already on the wiki and use its source
as a template for that type of building. Once you do this you can save the source and use
it as a template for all similar buildings like commercial, passenger etc. I can show this quite

Being that I have not really kept up with what has been going up it would be quite helpful
if those that have noticed missing areas to give me a run down on what they believe the
most important areas to be updated to be. If I can get some idea where to invest my work

I guess I'll just tag everyone in this thread.....:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: @Arggers @A Merryflyer @ArGi1981

Hey if I make it to number 2 contributor on the wiki will I get a special reward then. :sneaky::whistle:
That's a lot of work for just you....or the Captain for that matter. I think my concern now is the upkeep. @Captain WH Rollins brings up a very good point to constantly keeping it updated, which is a tedious task in itself. What I wonder is if there really is even a demand for the Wiki. Us on the forum tend to be curious for more info, so we get it where we can, but there are so many other players out there who may just play very casually. Is there a way to see if the traffic to each of these pages are heavy enough to investigate and update? Maybe we can focus on a couple pages that get the heaviest traffic. That would make the task a lot more manageable.

Free2Play

VIP Flyer
Former AC Developer
Device
  1. iPhone
That's a lot of work for just you....or the Captain for that matter. I think my concern now is the upkeep. @Captain WH Rollins brings up a very good point to constantly keeping it updated, which is a tedious task in itself. What I wonder is if there really is even a demand for the Wiki. Us on the forum tend to be curious for more info, so we get it where we can, but there are so many other players out there who may just play very casually. Is there a way to see if the traffic to each of these pages are heavy enough to investigate and update? Maybe we can focus on a couple pages that get the heaviest traffic. That would make the task a lot more manageable.

There's an in-joke here at our game design team that if we ever lose all our documentation, we'll use that wiki to restore it bit by bit. Kudos to everyone who updated it throughout the years, lots of great work.

Not replying necessarily to WP, but this post has the most tags.

Why not start a thread 51 open post and start a list of important items to update. Have a logical system outlined. Start with looking at planes, buildings... etc. Identify what needs updating and what is ok. If its just picked at here and there itll be very frustrating as you wont see progress. Need to attack it like systems analysts plot computer systems .

I would volunteer to be part of a group who was involved, but ive never done it before. I just pass info to @Dafsade !

Top Bottom